So this is my vegan version of Fettuccine Alfredo… I have always wanted to try making an alfredo sauce using cashew cream (surely an awesome recipe like that exists out there somewhere)… however…I LOVE the way this sauce turns out so much that I always end up saying, “I’ll try using cashews next time!” and then I keep making this one again and again and again and again! (It’s truly that good!) I prefer to use the Vegan Gourmet brand of mozzarella soy cheese in this recipe. Serve with some sliced & buttered French bread on the side. This recipe always gets my kids to happily clean their plates… and there really isn’t anything much better than that!
Saute in a little olive oil & set aside:
- 1 small (or 1/2 of a large) yellow onion
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
To make the sauce, puree the following in a food processor:
- 1 block xtra-firm silken tofu (i like the MoriNu brand)
- < 1/4 cup vegenaise (vegan mayo)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 tsp arrowroot flour (or perhaps cornstarch)*
- heaping 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup shredded (packed) Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet mozzarella soy cheese
- the onion & garlic mixture from above
- pinch nutmeg, pinch cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh basil for the top (or you can mix in 2 tsp dry basil to the sauce)
- 2 packs regular fettuccine noodles (I usually use DuBoles)
*I initally used the arrowroot flour as a thickening agent, though since it is such a small amount, I honestly don’t know if it is really a neccessary ingredient. If you don’t have any arrowroot, I wouldn’t sweat it.
After you have made your sauce, heat it over medium heat in a saucepan, whisking often. It’s okay to let it bubble a little, but don’t let it boil rapidly. You should probably keep a cover on it so it doesn’t splatter. Turn heat to low until noodles are done, but continue whisking every minute or two.
Cook fettuccine noodles according to the package. Drain noodles & toss them with the sauce, or if you prefer, plate noodles and then top with sauce & fresh basil. Serve with sliced bread, if desired, & ENJOY!