Just in time for Halloween, I have found a recipe for THE MOST AMAZING vegan caramel apples I have ever tasted. This vegan caramel is even better than the classic non-vegan caramel that I remember from my childhood… which is truly hard to beat! Vegan, soy-free, gluten free… this “caramel” is mostly made of brown rice syrup & coconut milk, so you could almost call it healthy, right?! I will be making this vegan caramel again very soon to make old-fashioned square candies, rolo-type candies & more! I can hardly wait to experiment! This stuff is GOOOOOOD!!!!
Vegan Caramel Apples
(makes 4 caramel apples)
- organic apples
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (canned)
- 1 cup brown rice syrup
- dash salt (about 1 tsp)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp earth balance vegan margarine (the soy free variety if you desire it to be soy free)
1) Wash and dry apples. Remove the stems. Insert a popsicle stick at the stem point. Cover a plate with wax paper or parchment paper and set aside.
2) Combine coconut milk, brown rice syrup and salt in a saucepan over medium heat and heat until boiling. Whisk constantly to prevent it from sticking for about 10 minutes. It should thicken quite a bit.
3) Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and margarine.
4) Start drizzling the caramel quickly over each apple with a spoon, and spreading it a bit around the apples as you go. (Feel free to sprinkle and press them into chopped salted peanuts or chocolate if you so desire!)
5) Let the apples sit in the fridge for a bit to harden. DEVOUR!
Thank you, Vegan Action, for this amazing recipe! It is magnificent!