If you are looking for an easy breakfast to serve (or be served!) on Mother’s Day tomorrow, you are in luck. This simple recipe is absolutely delicious. I like to serve this with a side of pre-made homemade tempeh bacon, or Fakin’Bacon, Lightlife SmartBacon, Gimmelean Soysage or fresh fruit.
I don’t know what we are doing yet for Mother’s Day, but I’m hoping to squeeze in a stop at the nearby cupcake shop to get a vegan cupcake that I didn’t have to bake myself (though there’s nothing wrong with that!)! Happy Mother’s Day to all you hard-working moms out there!
Your Vegan Neighbor’s French Toast
8-10 slices of bread
the basics: soy margarine, pure maple syrup, powdered sugar, fresh fruit
- 1 flax egg (1 “flax egg” = 2 Tbsp ground flax + 3 Tbsp water, whisked well)
- 1 cup soymilk or almond milk
- 2 Tbsp unbleached flour
- 1 heaping Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional but recommended)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp sweetener of choice (I like to use agave nectar or maple syrup)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
Spray a hot griddle with nonstick spray, dip bread completely in batter and cook on griddle until golden brown on both sides. If you go to flip the bread and it is sticking, it probably just needs another minute – don’t rush a good thing!
Serve with soy margarine, real maple syrup & powdered sugar, if desired!