I think everyone needs to have a good bran muffin recipe around. I really like these good-for-you muffins… They are delicious and they also give you some extra fiber. But the best part?… you wouldn’t think of them as being “healthy” muffins. The sweetness of the jelly totally takes over 🙂 My kids LOVE these (& me too)!
Inner Jam Oat Bran Muffins
- 1 flax egg (2 Tbsp ground flax + 6 Tbsp water)
- 2 cups oat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or you can use unbleached flour)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup soymilk (i like to use almond milk in these
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup or a little more fruit jam (fruit sweetened preferred over sugar)
Preheat the oven to 425. Lightly grease the muffin tins. You can either make 12 or 16 muffins.
Mix up the flax egg and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the oat bran, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl, mix the flax egg, milk, and oil. Stir in the walnuts. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until just blended.
Fill the muffin cups less than half full with batter. Put a big dollop of jelly in the center of each cup. Add more batter until the jelly is concealed and fill all muffin cups equally. Bake about 16-20 minutes. Cool in the tin for about 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack.